Friday, February 3, 2012

Lizard Soup Anyone?



The first part of this post is an experience written by Ezra about a business dinner he had in China.

Chinese Experience 1,828,462
After being here about a year, I thought I have seen it all. Well guess what! I was wrong.

The soup was just an appetizer! Inside the soup if you look carefully you can see 2 lizards 1 turtle, 2 separate diced snakes, 2 types of coral, and shark stomach, not to mention several dime size things with wings that were not flying. 

Next we had “Nanning Dragon” which is the largest snake in south east China. Then they brought us a platter of a dark stringy meat that nobody knew what it was, (or at least they didn’t tell me) and the main course was alligator.

For a foreigner to be snapping photos left and right is not the gentlest thing to be doing at the dinner table. (I did get a couple of the soup) I was so astonished at the crazy dishes that the waitresses would bring that the business men at the table asked how long I had been in China. By the expression on my face you’d think it was my first day.

I was at that meeting with a coworker named Jinfeng Yuan, he also works as a translator. Also at the meeting were seven other business men. Jinfeng Yuan (who we call D.Y.) drinks, but he knows of my Mormon faith and that I don’t drink, haven’t drunk, and will never drink.

As they started to fill my glass I declined and asked for Coca-Cola; they were flabbergasted and in total disbelief (not drinking with Chinese people, after having poured a glass is totally offensive, and outright senseless, especially if they are potential business partners.)

Most times Dan (a coworker) and I, will not go to these types of meetings because we found out early on that if “we couldn’t drink with them, they wouldn’t do business with us”, It’s a bad deal. 

So here I was at a meeting/ dinner with seven very influential business men, who by the way each individually have more money than I’ll probably ever have, and I just dropped the bomb.

When I said NO, I want Coca-Cola, all seven heads turned in unison to D.Y. They wanted an explanation. I didn’t have to guess what D.Y. was telling them, because I have told him exactly what to tell those who ask. “I’m sorry he does not drink, he is a Mormon Christian, and that religion teaches to stay away from anything habit forming, addictive, and just plain bad for your body. He politely asks that you respect his religion and beliefs.”

All of them turned again in unison, looked at me, looked at my glass and then swiftly removed the beer and wine off the table, while the older more distinguished Chinese man yelled at the waitress, demanding Coca-Cola for everybody.  

I have to say it was pretty cool raising our glasses and throwing down Coca-Cola together.

I love you all, Come see me in China,
Ezra.
Last year Ezra and I spent Chinese new year in Hong Kong. There were plenty of fireworks but they were definitely more regulated than here in Nanning.  In Nanning you can shoot off fireworks anywhere anytime. This year is the year of the dragon-it’s the most celebrated year of all, we knew there would be a lot of fireworks.

I was not in anyway prepared for what was to come.

At about 7 pm people started lighting them off. We didn’t really want to go outside so we let the girls watch them out the apt window. It was fun.

The fireworks continued the whole evening, we put the girls to bed, they were pretty good about sleeping through the noise and so were Ezra and I, but at mid night it all turned ugly.

6.5 million people lighting off 6.5 million fireworks. Half of the fireworks are noise makers- there are big ones I like to call atomic bombs, they make our apartment shake.

From mid- night to 4 in the morning there was not the slightest  break in the noise, it was defening….indescribeable….simply unbelievable. Atomic bomb fireworks were going off 10 at a time. We were yelling to speak. It felt like all 6.5 million fireworks were being lit off on the porch right out side our window, all night long. They were coming from every direction. The noise was assaulting.

I felt like I was going to loose my mind. I desperately tried to fall back asleep, I prayed for a monsoon, but nothing came.  At six am another round of fireworks started and we finally gave up the fight.  We had coca cola for breakfast to try and relieve our massive headaches.

I don’t know how it was possible, but the girls did amazingly well through all the noise, they stirred but never fully woke up. I was worried that they would have permanent hearing loss, but in the morning they were the same happy little campers that they always are. Phew!

We are still waiting for the fireworks to end...........they wont, at least not for a while yet.
Next time we’ll just have to wake up and join the party.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

haha ummm... grooooossss! That soup looks so scary. I am impressed that you would try it. I think I would have been sick looking at it.

And, I have heard about the fireworks in China (and Japan), sounds to me like they know how to do it right. Or, they are all pyros.

Anyway, we miss you guys! Happy 6 months to the girls in a few days!

Nikki said...

I love hearing about your experiences. The drinking business men one is a great lesson for my kids!

Nikki said...

I hope you don't mind, but my son is giving a talk on the word of wisdom. He is going to tell this story...thanks, Nikki